Fang Zhao is a Research Scientist at ITSLab under Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology, Future Urban Mobility Group (SMART/FM), where she works on advanced collection technologies for individual travel behavior data. She is project managing the Future Mobility Survey project, which is a smart phone based integrated travel/activity survey system. Her research focus is on developing innovative methods for travel information collection and on applying machine learning and pattern recognition to the context of transportation systems.
Prior to this, Fang completed her PhD degree at MIT in 2009 in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. She worked on communication networks and information theory during her PhD.
Selected book chapter and journal articles with peer review
- Caitlin Cottrill, Francisco Pereira, Fang Zhao, Ines Dias, Hock Beng Lim, Moshe Ben-Akiva, and Christopher Zegras, “Future Mobility Survey: Experience in Developing a Smart-Phone-Based Travel Survey in Singapore”, to appear in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
- F. Zhao, M. Médard, D. S. Lun, and A. Ozdaglar, “Convergence study of decentralized min-cost subgraph algorithms for multicast in coded networks,” to appear in IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory.
- Luísa Lima, Minji Kim, Fang Zhao, João Barros, Muriel Médard, Ralf Koetter, Ton Kalker, and Keesook Han, “On counteracting Byzantine attacks in network coded peer-to-peer networks,” IEEE JSAC on Mission Critical Networks, vol. 28, issue 5, 2010.
- F. Zhao, M. Médard, D. S. Lun, and A. Ozdaglar, “Minimum-cost subgraph algorithms for static and dynamic multicasts with network coding,” book chapter in New Directions in Wireless Communications Research, Springer, 2009.
- F. Zhao, G. Mathew, and B. Farhang-Boroujeny, “Techniques for minimizing error propagation in decision feedback detectors for recording channels,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol 37, issue 1, pages 592-602, Jan 2001.
Selected conference proceedings with peer review
- Francisco Pereira, Fang Zhao, Carlos Carrion, Maya Abou-Zeid, Caitlin Cottrill, Christopher Zegras, and Moshe Ben-Akiva, “Future Urban Mobility Survey: next generation travel diary technology”, ITS World Congress 2013, Tokyo, Japan.
- Caitlin D. Cottrill, Francisco C. Pereira, Fang Zhao, Inês Ferreira Dias, Hock Beng Lim, Moshe E. Ben-Akiva, and P. Christopher Zegras, “Future Mobility Survey: Experience in Developing a Smart-Phone-Based Travel Survey in Singapore,” Transportation Research Board (TRB) 92nd Annual Meeting, Jan 2013.
- Daiqin Yang, Fang Zhao, Kai Liu, Hock Beng Lim, Emilio Frazzoli, Daniela Rus, “A GPS Pseudorange Based Cooperative Vehicular Distance Measurement Technique,” IEEE 75th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring 2012).
- F. Zhao, M. Médard, M. Hundebol, J. Ledet-Pedersen, S. A. Rein, and F. Fitzek, “Comparison of analytical and measured performance results on network coding in IEEE 802.11 ad-hoc networks,” The 2012 International Symposium on Network Coding (Netcod 2012).
- F. Zhao, and M. Médard, “On analyzing and improving COPE performance,” in Proceedings of Information Theory and Applications Workship (ITA), 2010.
- M. Kim, D. Lucani, X. Shi, F. Zhao, and M. Médard, Network Coding for Multi-Resolution Multicast, IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), March 2010.
- F. Zhao, M. Médard, D. S. Lun, and A. Ozdaglar, “Convergence rates of min-cost subgraph algorithms for multicast in coded networks,” in Proceedings of Allerton Annual Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Sept. 2007.
- F. Zhao, T. Kalker, M. Médard, and K. J. Han, “Signatures for content distribution with network coding,” in Proceedings of International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), June 2007.